Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Help Me!

Yea so, I've come to the realization that being a double major may kill me. Especially if I continue this new job I got. I'm not sure if I should continue with duel degrees. Should I try to stick it out through these next four years? Or should I drop voice perf, and why?

6 comments:

Celeste Hanlon said...

Aww, Silky. Being a double major must be really difficult. But if it's what you really want, then you shouldn't give voice perf up. If you're having a really hard time keeping up with everything then maybe you should drop the new job, unless you REALLY need to work. I know that I have no choice, I have to have a job. If you have the same situation maybe just cut your hours, or go to a place that will let you just work on the weekends? But I think you should stick it out for a while. I mean we've only been here for a month, once everything settles down more then I think you'll be fine. You can do anything you set your mind to! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Being a double major is an admirable quest, but it's not necessarily necessary here at the choir college. At Westminster, as long as you're voice primary, you're capable of being a professional opera singer by the time you graduate. If you keep up with your languages and stay diligent with your voice lessons, then you'll still graduate from Westminster a formidable singer. It's really a matter of whether or not your plan is to go straight into teaching, or if you want to try to make it professonally before you decide to settle. If your true goal is to be a performer, then you may want to try to stick out the double major, but know that you can't take music ed here as a 'fall-back' and expect to do well. Our ed program is quite formidable.
Kieran

Carlito said...

yeah, i'm gonna be performing outta college too, and I've got an awesome voice teacher and I'm singin a lot. we're still getting the instruction we need to develop our voices as ed majors. but you better not drop ed, i'll never see you! :) that's the only reason you need!

Meghan said...

Out of curiosity, why would you decide to drop Performance over music ed? I've heard the music ed major on its own referred to as the "suicide major." Personally I love it, but if you had to drop one what are your reasons for dropping performance over ed?

Tom Cunningham said...

Drop Ed. You don't need an Ed. degree to teach, but you do need the practical skills from perf. to perform. Its hard to pick between loves, but it does occasionally need to be done. (I am also a double major).