Monday, September 24, 2007

5 Year Program

This school offers the 5 year program in music education, who in our class is in it and why. There are a lot of good reasons to do it: you shove two years in one, get it out of the way, better job placement. There a lot of good reasons not to do it: you can let your job pay for your masters, you may want your masters in something else like piano, voice or conducting, you may want your masters at another college. I am not really sure what I want to do. I am fortunate to have a choice but I have to choose. What do you guys think?

4 comments:

Bishopdr said...

yeah im in the program as well but after further thinking about what i want to do in the future i think i may pull for only one reason. I came to this school looking for my undergrad in music ed so i can get my Masters in choral conducting. Thats my passion and the reason in which i am pursuing music. I think i may drop the five year plan and just go to another school for the conducting degree not anything against WCC but its always good to experiecne other methods and ways of teaching and conducting. I do believe that if you are goin to teach when you leave this school that you think about the five year program. I just feel that if education is not what i want my masters in then why spend the time??....does this make sense?

Rachel Gluzband said...

Yeah, Ketti's right that we don't get to declare the five year program until we pass our Sophomore portfolio. But it's probably still a good idea to be thinking about it now, to have some sense of vision towards the future of your educational career or something. Personally, I think I might like to go somewhere else for my master's, not because I don't love Westminster (because I do) but because I think it's good to have a variety of teachers and perspectives to round out your experience. Maybe I'll go to a really big school! Who knows! We all certainly have quite a bit of time to decide.

Carlito said...

I respect those of you that do, go get em! I'm gonna try and do some performing while I'm here, and I may get my masters in this area. I"m also working... I just don't think I'll be able to do that and do the five year plan. It's sooooo (yes, 5 0s worth) important not to get over worked!

Dan the Man said...

i personally want to go for the 5 year program. I mean you can get paid better at schools, and get hired a lot easier. it just makes an important time in our lives (our 20's) a lot easier to get through. i mean this school is probably in the top 5 schools for music education in the country, there is no better place to learn than here, and we have some of the most open-minded teachers here, and to have that one extra year and get so much i think is much better than auditioning for another college, goin to school again for 2 years, gettin used to another schools style, tryin to make new friends and enemies, its just too much. its so much easier to just continue here and get your masters.