Tuesday, October 2, 2007

What I got out of the assignment...

By Brittany Russo
 
Professor Haltmier said something after he handed out the letters we wrote about why we wanted to be music educators. He said it is more important that we connected with the assignment and understood it. While writing mine, I really came to an understanding with myself on why I wanted to be a music teacher. I had an idea and I knew that it was what I wanted but once I sat down and wrote about it, it really came to me and I became more motivated. However, because I forgot to write a letterhead and because the way I wrote, wasn’t formal enough, I got a C. I really enjoyed writing my paper and I was really proud of my reasons for wanted to be a music teacher. So, when I got my paper back, I guess I was just a little shocked. I’m not a C student and I really value Prof. Haltmier’s opinion so this essay really threw me off.
 
Can I tell students what I think?
 
I know that as far as political stances go, teachers are supposed to keep their views to themselves. When it comes to music though, can I, as a teacher express my views on how I don’t certain types of music or certain artists? Should we just let them come to terms on their own without our influence?

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Of course your own ideas and thoughts will be revealed; however subconsciously.

But, it is important to try and present music (whether it be history, composers, theory, etc) in the most unbiased way possible so that the student's minds are left with a larger palette of colours so that they can make their own educated decisions about liking/disliking certain aspects.

cpdave said...

Music is very broad and some kids have a very bias view on music, you may add to their views in a negative way. It is important to expand on what students already know and NOT what the teacher knows and believes. Ask a student why he or she likes that piece of music and try to relate to other songs he or she may not have listened to. Music is kind of like a wine tasting party. Some people try something very peculiar and only like that but eventually move onto similar taste and finally go to a different taste. Also certain wines go well with different foods just how certain musics fit other contexts better than others.

You have every right to tell the class what you think but it's really about what they think and know. You can only guide them. After you have lead them to a question and they have answered it on their own, then share with them as a fellow peer, not teacher, your opinion. All music is connected just how grapes make all different kinds of wines. Let them realize that all music is related and they can appreciate everything and maybe you too can learn!