Thursday, October 4, 2007

Response to the letter of a former 'me'

I understood the reason for the assignment but question the purpose. School is not designed for the students to be in control of their grading. School is designed for students to come into class, sit down, do as they're told and they'll succeed. If i was teaching an eighth grade class or even a high school class and prompted this with their assignment, they'd all turn to each other and say, ''Who the hell is this guy? What are we singing? Is there a grading chart? What did you put for your answer?" Unless state standards and grades are abolished, writing this letter in our society is worthless. Some students that are very talented, even writing an honest reason, may never reach their A-potential because the class may be holding him back. Do they deserve a B?

I feel like although the assignment was explained a million times, there still is a lot of room for confusion. I did NOT not write the letter because I was unsure what to say. I did not write the letter because I cannot find pertinence in this environment.

3 comments:

Tom Cunningham said...

We're all just playing the game. Get on board or go pump gas.

Tom Cunningham said...

Ps, I'm not from NJ. If you aren't either a better analogy would be scooping ice cream.

Anonymous said...

ouch?

I think in a assignments of this nature, or even more so assignments in this: critical pedagogy, the class of no answers, the point isn't what the assignment is supposed to teach you. It's what you allow yourself to get out of it. The rules were NOT clear. So, bend them in a way that will interest you or inspire you in some way.

In other, more comical words:

"Ask not what critical pedagogy can do for you, but what you can do for critical pedagogy."

(Sorry)