Thursday, October 4, 2007

End of the week rant!! (Ok its not a rant just a blog)

So its almost friday! I feel as if i need to some up my musical education week. The highlight of the week is that i finally gave in to the dark side. I dropped my double major. Over the past year I was set on pushing my self to be one of the few to finish and graduate with the double major in perf and EDU. But that all started to change after stepping into this class. This class opened my blind eyes to the darker side of teaching. The turmoil that comes out in the case studies. I knew that there were problems of this sort in teaching i figured that i'd know how to handle them if i was ever faced with them. But reading ahead, having to read the zander book, and going to class everyday not know what to expect has shown me that i need to devote 100% of myself to being the best educator I can. The only way that will be is if i can give all my effort to it. I think even though i wont be in all the perf classes i will still become a great singer after all we do go to choir college.

NE WAY

After our first few weeks of Ped do any of feel that music edu is definatly the path for you?
Who feels that it might not be the path for you?

Squiggy

5 comments:

Tom Cunningham said...

If I drop a major I'll be dropping Ed. Now you know where my loyalty lies.

Hemmings said...

well said

Anonymous said...

As teacher type people, can we put ^ these two in the little "negativity box" on the chalkboard?

Anonymous said...

In response to the post, all of the the crazy thoughts and ideas and problems we now know we'll encounter, and all of the problems we know we won't know we'll encounter, I'm actually just more excited.

I've always been bent on teaching, if not music, and all of the questions and arguments and other thought-provoking material in this class just make me want to throw my arms up and yell

"How Fascinating!!!!"

I'm sorry I have to be that kid, but that's how it is.

Marie said...

I agree with Deidre 110% - all the discussions and the problems about teaching that we talk about in class just get me more excited to go out there and do it! It makes me want to try my hand at it and see what I can make of all these situations!

And I also think, that if I weren't in music education here, I'd be in some kind of primary education somewhere else. I absolutely love little kids, and I love how they are beautiful little blank slates, that are open to try almost anything! I consider myself so lucky to hopefully be able to do both of the things I love most for the rest of my life.