Sunday, November 11, 2007
Assumptions
This may sound counterintuitive, but stick with me. Do we just assume kids like pop music? I went home this weekend and on my return the guy driving me back (who was mentally unstable, but thats another story for another time) says to me "I've got you pinned for a kid who likes popular music." Well, first off, he was wrong, but that's also beside the point. Do kids like what we consider pop music? Statistically yes, but lets think about it. Can we concede that the kids in choir aren't normal kids? I'd like to imagine they have a more refined taste in music than the prepackaged crap on the radio. I know when I was in High School (except for a brief stint in 8th grade when I was really into rap) I didn't really care for the stuff on the radio. When my teacher tried to incorporate popular music (like Kings Singers arrangements of The Beetles) I thought it was junk. I mainly go on my personal experience, which I know I can't extrapolate to everyone, but...oh well. I think personal interests are too broad to please a majority, so stick to the greats (yes, that means classical). Do I like the occasional foray into "pop?" No, but I'll do it for the good of my students. That being the same reason I'll do things like spanish carols. So, right about now I got tired of writing this, and I only kinda made my point, but the Colts are playing the Chargers, so...yea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow thankyou, this is very similar to something I've been thinking a lot lately.
As far as 'honoring their world' goes, we can't assume that all of our students worlds are going to include pop! I think it's really important for us as teachers to branch out and cover as many bases as we can while still doing each genre the justice it deserves, and keeping the kids as involved as possible.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with the assumption that the kids in choir aren't going to be the "normal" kids (what is normal, anyway? Does that really exist anymore?), but I agree that it's not fair to assume that all of the kids in choir will fit into the 'kids like pop music' statistic. This also isn't to say that they wil be any more refined in their musical tastes, although I wish that were the case, but I think kids in general have much wider interest ranges than a lot of people give them credit for.
I agree to some extent that personal experience is a good place to start, but I also think that my personal experience won't be enough, because I will have experienced so many completely different things that my students will, so they'll be bored if I just teach them what I know. I wrote in my philosophy paper that I plan on having each kid pick a song or a genre for us to cover in class to make sure that everyone's interests stay piqued as much as possible, and so that we can branch out into many different genres.
Anyway. This is somewhat random, and it turns out that I didn't agree with nearly as much of what you said as I thought I did, but that's ok. :P
I think it is safe to say that some kids will like "popular music" (for lack of a better term). I think perhaps the more interesting questions is... Are we content to only reach out to the "typical band and choir kid"? Maybe those "typical" kids aren't as into popular music as the non-band/choir kids. So do we then have an obligation to reach out the "non band/choir" kid? Philosophical differences and questions may abound here.
I think the attention to popular music in ed lab is being perceived in ways I had not expected. I get the feeling it is coming off as "pop music is what we should be doing...more than anything else." Well, I'm not saying that. I think what schools (and schools of music) often neglect (for a variety of reasons) is an acknowledgment of popular music and popular music-making as significant creative art forms. I know people who write "classical music" (or instrumental/choral/orchestral music influenced by Western European 'art music' traditions). I also know people who play/write/record music in more of a popular music vein (non-orchestral, small 'combo', singer/songwriter,etc). Although there are many differences between these musics, I believe that when done well, they share many characteristics (in process, intent, and product). In both styles (and the myriad of hybrids), I know of musicians who take their art/craft very seriously...who train/practice/work at what they do in order to create music (whether in a deliberate pre-composed form, or in a improvised/spontaneous composition sort of way) that is very powerful, serious, expressive, and creative. I think there are artists of the 'popular music tradition' who have created works of art that are as important as some of the great works of the 'classical' tradition. Perhaps what I am suggesting schools need to do more of is look at the creative and musical processes of musicians in both/more/all categories.
We also have to acknowledge that our modern musical world functions very differently than the musical worlds of years past. Are we content to teach music (the music-making process as well as musical products) using exclusively/primarily the traditions of classical music? Should we ask questions like "How did the Beatles make their music?" "How does Paul Simon write a song?" "What did Stevie wonder do to make his 1970's recordings sound the way they did?" "How are current artists influenced by those who came before them?" "If I wanted to write/perform a song like 'x song', what do I need to learn?"..etc...
Perhaps I am most concerned with how we answer these bigger philosophical questions, and how do we then go about teaching music based on our answers:
1) What does it mean to make music?
2) In what ways do people make music?
3) What options/choices/decisions go into making music?
4) In what ways do musicians who come from different musical traditions learn/listen/create/perform?
5) In what ways are formal and informal music learning similar/different?
6) How important is authenticity in music education (teaching/performing/creating music in a context that best models the traditions from whence it came)?
Ok...I may have gone way deeper with that than was necessary.
By the way, great Colts/Chargers game. If this whole music ed thing doesn't work out, I may work on developing my skills at kicking 26-yard field goals.
Every bunch of students is different. It's all about context. I think some of that "crap" on the radio is GOOD MUSIC. But that's an opinion..I also believe students taking a music elective are more open to different types of music, I would not go as far as saying they have a more "refined" choice in music. That too is an opinion and presumptuous.
I believe if you assume too much your students will become dull and boring; instead, find little nicks and nacks that may spring creativity. Let them figure out what they like. I do not suggest just giving them a song because it's popular.
I believe the best thing you can do for you for your students is keeping the classroom limitless.
Oh and who are NORMAL kids?
Post a Comment