So I just watched the "Did you know?" video that Haltmeier sent us from YouTube. If you haven't already watched it, I sincerely recommend that you do. I was blown away by some of the statistics in the video. I mean, I guess I knew that the world has changed drastically over the last say, fifty years. But it's mind-blowing to also see how much the world has changed only within the past ten. The internet is becoming a huge part of our lives and I don't think there's any way to stop it.
In class today, I was considering the view that technology isn't necessary to teaching. I was thinking that maybe the traditional way of education, with books and chalkboards and lectures, is all one really needs. However, with all that's being made available to us, and all that will be available in the coming years and decades, I think that technology is important and I think that it can make the world a better place (end with cliche statement about life). : )
BTW, if you've watched the video, you might agree with me. That business about MySpace being the eighth largest country in the world made me want to vomit. Blech.
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You want chalkboards? I believe that using technology is important in the music classroom. I understand it is not utilized enough in classrooms now but think of this: when students walk into class they can be hooked up to a machine that can teach them how the match pitch and stay in tune. Imagine a choir/bandroom that had a smartboard where the teacher could bring up the piece the students were working on and show kids parts what they sound like and how to phrase them. The technology for these things is around but we don't utilize it. When I become a teacher I will encourage students to learn and use finale. Teaching students how to use these modern music tools will only prepare them for the future technology.
Squiggy
BYAH!
I'm going to disagree with the need for technology. Not to sound antiquated, but, as we say in Ohio, "if it ain't broke, dun't fix it." Is there any wonder most, if not all good voice teachers teach from the old Italian school (bel canto being a significant part thereof)? I refuse to imagine a machine that shows kids how to match kids and stay in tune, that removes a vital part of music. Not to mention how machines can rip the artistry, the very core of music, right out. And to show kids what phrases sound like? Them discovering that is a vital part of the wholistic musical experience.
Notation is a completely different. It is obviously advantageous to have clear notation from which to work. So, thumbs up for finale.
(For the record, this was in no way an attak on Squiggy, I think he's awesome, I just really disagree)
Post a Comment