Thursday, November 15, 2007

All Riled Up

Ok, I have a real-life case study for y'all:

My father is a band and general music teacher at an elementary school in the Bronx, NY. Much like the characters in our case studies book, he came in and revolutionized their program, offering more variety in their repertoire and using music from many different cultures to get students excited about band.

A few months after he started there, however, the other teachers began to complain about his classes. They complained that students would get too excited in his class, and that the students would be "all riled up". When students returned from music, the general classroom teachers would have to wait for them to calm down.

Needless to say, my father didn't want to change his teaching methods. Should he have to adapt his lessons, making them less exciting for the students? Shouldn't it be a positive sign, that students are so excited about music that they don't want to stop talking about it? Should he take time out of the class's already limited schedule to let them calm down at the end of class? What would you do in this situation?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think the other teachers are just upset because the students probably fall asleep in their classes. I hope the students in my class get that excited about my class. If what your father is doing works for the students, than he shouldn't change it. After all, aren't the students the most important part of teaching? I think the teachers who are complaining should be ashamed of themsevles. If students are getting excited about learning, as educators, teachers should be happy that their students want to learn, reguardless of the subect. Unless it's underwater basket weaving. Just kidding.

ehaltmeier said...

Wow...what a shame. I agree...they should be glad that students are enthused. Perhaps the issue could be addressed proactively...maybe the teachers and your father could talk about what they are learning in the classes they are going back to, and maybe he could do some sort of quick thing to get their energy directed there.

Or...

My more cynical side thinks that perhaps your father should be the one complaining. After all, maybe the amount of time and energy that the classroom teachers have to put forth to calm kids down is directly proportional to the amount of time and energy he has to use to get them to be enthusiastic and motivated.

Dan the Man said...

ok..it's not your dad's fault that the other classes are boring. If the students are excited, then the other teachers should be feeding off of that energy not discouraging it.

Meghan said...

Rachel - I think this is the most terrifying situation in the world. If I were in this situation I have absolutely no idea what I would do, other than cry a lot and investigate the underwater basket-weaving classes at the local Y. I am scared and I don't want to deal with the real world... waahhh.

That being said, I don't think he should have to adapt his lessons making them less exciting for the students - if anything, the other teachers need to find ways of making the kids More excited about their own subject matter. Mayhaps they're jealous? Gah I have no idea. Good luck Daddy Gluzband!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm... very frustrating indeed. I think what I would do would be to have a discussion with my students about the reports I was getting from other teachers. I think I would tell them how extremely pleased I was that their excitement for music still carried over into other classrooms, but that they should channel that energy into the ability to think clearly and work harder, or at least into will power to stay focused in their other classes, rather than disrupt the other classes by talking about music.

If said tactfully and carefully it might even be like taking the kids into his confidence and strenthening his connection with them. He would just have to be careful not to insult or demean the other teachers or their classes. (Not that I'm assuming your father would do such a thing!)