Use this space to post the music ed questions/issues/statements that you noted in class today. I think that viewing these thoughts in one place may help you to find themes to organize your writing.
I do think the highlighter pen idea for categorizing ideas based on your/others writing from this semester could be VERY helpful. The more you work together in sharing ideas for organizing, the better. You should print out all of your papers/blogs/notes and go highlight happy. You can even get serious and cut the ideas out and sort them into piles by color (in a very 'my son' sort of way). You will be surprised how much of the thinking/writing you have already done.
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Here are the notes I took in class:
Social Issues/Ethics
Emotional children
Issues of connectivity
Kids who don’t want to learn
Teachers as a learner, or just a student
Power of Teachers in classroom
Inclusion versus Exclusion
Musical Issues
Teaching Strategies (4MAT or otherwise)
Improvisation versus Reading
Issues of Music/Curriculum
“Pop Music”
What happens to the kids who suck?
Who music belongs to
Rep Issues
Competition Issues
Selectivity of Groups
Professional Aspirations
Power Issues
Classroom Issues/Discipline
Bad kids
Purpose of Music Education
Music Education versus Education
(Now steal my thoughts!)
(I highly doubt anyone will get the System of a down reference inherent in that last statement...oh well)
Hi guys,
Here are all the questions/ideas my group came up with:
-How do you deal with students' bad behavior?
-Do you let students lead the class?
-Are some students always going to fail? -Do you let them?
-What should you teach?
-What is the purpose of Music Ed?
-Is the purpose different on different levels?
-How do you address religious/cultural differences? Or do you?
-What is your relationship to your students?
-Should you sacrifice your integrity to appease the administration?
-Can you insult/be mean to your students?
-What role does performance play?
-Does is matter what performance looks/sounds like?
-How do you feel about feminist ideas?
-What is good music?
-Does pop music belong in the classroom?
-How do you motivate your students?
-How do you build your program?
-How do you form relationships with other teachers?
-Do you cater to special needs?
-Inclusive/Exclusive with special ed?
-How do you address learning types?
-Who knows more, the teacher or the students?
-How do you discipline students?
-Who is music ed for?
-How do you "honor their worlds"?
-How do you get your students to like you? Should they?
-What should you teach besides music?
-How do you grade? How do you "get an A"?
-Performance or Process?
-Must everyone perform?
-Should classes be leveled?
-Should you part-test? Should they pass to be able to perform?
-Is it ok to single students out?
-Do you smile before Christmas?
-Who is the students' music for?
-At what point do you take parts away?
-Should you stick to music your students will understand and like?
-How do you deal with special needs children?
-Should everyone be allowed to sing?
-Should everyone perform?
-Should you teach improv and composition?
..It's alot. I hope it helps!
THANKS!!!!!
Well Tom and Deidre basically covered most of the things I came up with. But most of my notebook is just little things I've been jotting down so here are a few that may help some people:
How/what will you teach when no one/someone else is watching?
Empowering students to learn.
Musical unlearning-taking the book away and trusting your ear (I dunno if that works but whatever haha)
Are you willing to not know the answer?
Are you willing to let your students correct you if you are wrong?
Taking a step and letting your students figure it out for themselves sometimes.
I don't know if those help, but I hope they do! Good luck guys! :)
you guys are lifesavers
Post a Comment