Monday, October 29, 2007

Feminism

HAHA, yes, I brought it up. I'm just gonna say what I think. I think that we have priorities as teachers. Stopping ourselves from sayin "hey guys" in the classroom is probably below the bottom of my list. I just think that students should worry more about learning the material in the classroom instead of the PC and shananagins that anal people tend to worry about. Even if i say "hey dudes", if a student has a problem with that, then i think the student needs to check his classroom priorities. That student needs to learn, not criticize everything I do. Your thoughts?

3 comments:

Tom Cunningham said...

Did you go to her presentation?

Just curious.

Hemmings said...

He wasn't referring to Gould But just back too ed lab.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I believe in being aware of discrimination issues as teachers, but I really think there's a point where it gets ridiculous, and we're hurting more than helping.

People who may have lived in less accepting environments may disagree with me, but I really think that we're at a point (in this country) where we'll make more progress in lessening the differences between groups of people if we stop highlighting them. If we stop talking about demographics of society as "women" "men" "black" "white" "hispanic" then I think maybe we'll stop seeing them as such and start seeing them as just people.

If I asked my mom for the first time why someone looked different than me, and she said "Some people have darker or lighter skin than others. That girl's family has darker skin, so she does too." I probably would have said, "Oh. Ok!"

But if she launched into a long winded explanation of slavery in America and discrimination and how all people are the same, I would probably have been very confused and uncomfortable and would have been nervous about approaching that person.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be aware of the past or of discrimination or sexism or any of these issues, but I think that we actually teach discrimination when we talk so much about it, even if its speaking against it. I just think that some of the problems will correct themselves in our generation with time.

I'm sorry if you disagree violently with me- I'm really not sure what it would feel like to be on the receiving end of that kind of discrimination. Let me know if you think I'm terribly misinformed!

-Deidre