Monday, October 29, 2007

Feminism...just not in Music Education

I'm sure we'll talk about this tomorrow, but I want some blogger points. So, I attended the presentation this evening. It was much more interesting than I expected- I had brought an essay to work on, but ended up listening. I don't take issue with almost anything Liz Gould has to say, but I fail to see the connection of music education. Her point, as I heard it was that to rebel and undermine the perceived invisibility and unmarked-ness she feels. (I was a little peeved that the phrase "music education" was not used until 45 minutes into her talk) Anyhoo, one of her points was to break this "disappeared" by an artistic deed/outpouring. So, I see how her thoughts relate to education, and thereby relate to us (in terms of teaching our youth in a new fashion to have new and different barriers, or no barriers at all), however I don't see how she applies specifically to music education. That sounds contradictory, but roll with me here. I see how we relate to her, but not how she directly relates to us. I see her as an educator sticking music before it, not a music educator.

I'll keeping thinking on that.

No comments: