Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Revolution

I just finished reading the speech Haltmeier sent us and I for one am excited.  It is unavoidable that eventually teachers will have to promote the learning and studying of popular music.  After reading the speech, it's strange no one noticed it before.  Well it was several years ago but still, it's surprising that no one sat up after WWII and said, "Hey, what just happened?"  I am glad that this was brought to our attention, after the music ed lab last Friday, 
I was surprised at how many people thought that teaching popular music and electronic 
instruments in class was a bad thing. My question to you all is, how do you feel about this 
small revolution in the world going on right now?  Did you even notice it? Maybe growing 
up with it numbed us to the fact that it happened. Will you be willing to teach kids this subject 
they already know a lot about, but have no means of really improving upon it in a class room 
setting.  

2 comments:

Tom Cunningham said...

I'm all for innovation, just not the crap that is modern pop. Maybe by that definition, I'm actually against it. I embrace jazz though, that should count for something?

ehaltmeier said...

Tom...you will really enjoy the movie I am going to show in ed lab soon called "Before the Music Dies"...it takes a hard look at modern pop and what it has become. I mentioned the movie briefly in class the other day. You can check out the trailer at www.beforethemusicdies.com. The issues in pop music today extend way beyond the acoustic vs. produced dilemma. They are issues, nonetheless, that are important for us to deal with in music ed.