Ok. So this is a little weird for me to talk about, but recently I have come to the realization that I am a complete bitch. I completely disagree with the idea that there’s no such thing as a stupid question – some of the things that come out of peoples’ mouths are just dumb. This doesn’t mean that I won’t encourage my students to ask lots of questions, but when somebody asks about the breath marks in measure 27 after I’ve already talked about it seventy-two times, I’m going to want to give them my death-stare, say that I’ve already answered that question, and that they should ask someone else and pay more attention next time. I don’t necessarily know that I will have a response like that, but does that fact that I’m tempted make me a terrible person?
I don’t believe in babying students. Obviously I’m not going to throw them into the deep end head first, but if someone sings something wrong, I’m going to tell them they’re wrong. Part of my philosophy is that I think it’s good and healthy to let kids fail every once in a while. I think that one of the most important ways to succeed is to learn from your own mistakes, and that more often than not, it’s more beneficial for a student to learn from their own mistakes than to hear about someone else’s.
Will I crush some small child’s hopes and dreams by not babying them and letting them fall on their faces every once in a while? I have every intention of helping them up afterwards, but is it ok to let them fall?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We're in the same boat.
Here's a question: Is that what you enjoy? (Not failing kids, but failing yourself)
My answer is yes. I want to fail terribly because I do my best work rebounding and under pressure.
Are you too mean for elementary school? Probably/Maybe. For High School? I don't think so.
Yes, Meghan...you're a terrible person.
(just kidding)
No, you're not terrible at all. You're just hypothesizing how you might deal with the dilemma of students who are not taking responsibility for their own learning. I do think we have an obligation to provide the most learner-centered educational environment that we can. After all, the teaching/learning is ultimately much more about "them" than "us". The thing to remember, as we have been saying so much this semester, is that 'context is everything'. Do you have a right to get upset in a class?...of course you do...you are a human being. The more important question is why you are upset. If you have provided a learning environment in which the responsibilities of the students are clearly outlined, and you have made every effort to determine that students understand the responsibilities given to them, I feel you most definitely have the obligation to hold students to the level expected of them. Further along the 'context is everything' line, it is important to make every effort to understand why a student may not be doing what you are asking (is it a defiance issue...if so, why?; is it a personal matter that has nothing to do with your class?; was your teaching unclear?; what are the other factors that play into the scenario?).
I often go into teaching a lesson with the attitude of "how much they learn and succeed is totally on my back". This keeps me honest with myself and ensures that I am being critical of my own teaching. But I also have to know where I draw the line of "I know I have done my job above and beyond what is expected...I have made every effort to connect with you, to present important information in a meaningful way, and I have given you a forum to express your voice as it relates to the material at hand...Now, the responsibility is yours."
In CPME, we often speak of the idea that transformative learning has taken place when "students know that they know"...when students are clearly aware of how their thinking and views on things are now different. Likewise, when students "fail", it is important for students to "know that they do not know". Meaning, they shouldn't be considered successful or unsuccessful based on what we tell them...they should instead be keenly aware of it for themselves.
yeah. I was going to say what Tom said..Elementary school, yes. High School, no. It also depends though, because some kids have been babied so much by their parents that when someone DOESN'T baby them, it's like a kick in the face for them. This can be true for high school, middle school, elementary school..and maybe even college sometimes. So..i guess it depends when you get there. The thing I've kind of found out is that we can't be too ambiguous with our teaching methods, because there's always going to be someone who doesn't react well to it, so i bet a lot of our thoughts in this classroom are going to change once we are standing in front of that choir/band.
I think you should read my paper on my most influential music teacher and decide whether or not you're ok with a student coming away from you with the impression that I present of her. (It's not an entirely negative paper - but my teacher was similar to the one you describe yourself being.)
Seriously, you are welcome to read it if you want to - shoot me an email.
I would agree with the others somewhat and say not that you are too mean to be an elementary school teacher, but that it would be very silly of you to think that you would not encounter a kid in every class, and probably every day, who would ask the breath mark question.....because in my experience this is how kids are. There will always be at least one, and usually there will be many. I don't believe in babying, but I do believe in nuturing, and that elementary school should be a place of second chances and finding the root of the problem rather than chastising straight away. Later on, kids need to fail and get a wake up call, but I think for most kids elementary school is too soon to do that without giving the impression that they ARE failures. If someone had ever told me that I sounded bad in elementary school, I probably would never have sung in public again.
First off, I found this rediculously funny coming from you Meghan, since you're like the sweetest most affectionate person... ever. haha
But I don't think you're a terrible person at all. You should get together with my high school choir director sometime. She was basically the person you described. She would tell us something once or twice and after that she would call us out for it if we missed it. She was the teacher that if she heard you singing singing something she didn't like she would say, "(insert name), you are singing flat. Fix it or don't sing." Now, of course, she would never have done this to and entry level group - but she sure as hell did to all the upper level groups. The only people that really had a problem with it were the people that had a problem being wrong - and if you think youre perfect all the time you have a completely different issue... but most people loved her. And it wasn't like she was selective about the people she did it too - she picked on EVERYONE, and if it seemed like she picked onyou more then others, it was because she thought you could handle it and just wanted you to be the best you could be. And just because she was like this in the classroom did not make her a bad person. She was very friendly and sweet outside of classroom if you gave her a chance and talked to her.
If I back away form this though, I would definitely say you would need to be in high school to try any of these things, because if you called out an elementary or middle school kid who are all going through that awkward stage in their life and tell them they are flat and if they don't fix it to just stop singing then they would probably cry.
You're the best Meghan. :)
Post a Comment