My mom is an 8th grade history teacher and she, and many of the teachers at her school, refer to No Child Left Behind as “No School Left Standing.” I’ve never heard anything good about NCLB and that’s probably due to my liberal upbringing. However, I hear both Dr. Abrahms and the principal from two weeks ago praise this act and I didn’t understand why as educators they liked it and how it benefits music education programs. I know that my high school passed 49 of the 50 requirements needed to get federal funding. Because we have a large special education program, the only one in my district, we failed a portion of the tests. Many teachers were upset because we would not get funding. How does taking funding away from schools that need it benefit anyone? What does No Child Left Behind do for music programs?
~Brittany Russo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really don't know enough about anything to make an informed comment, but from speaking to my old elementary school teachers, No Child Left Behind is creating problems for districts with older teachers who have to become "highly qualified". Also, especially in the inner cities and in poorer districts, it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle where the district has no money or resources to help kids from poor economic backgrounds and little motivation to study. Therefore, the kids don't do well enough on tests to get money to help the situation, but the school can't get them to do any better because they don't have the money or resources.
I have heard these criticisms many times - I have no idea what any of the positive effects have been.
As the other two posters have said, I'm not the most educated in this topic, but I have a basic understanding of what it is... and I think this is the most rediculous program! I understand that we want every child to suceed, but not every child will succeed in the same why. Not everyone is capable of reaching the same level as others, for example, the special education kids. To hold them to the same standards as "normal" kids isn't right of fair to them. On the flip side, there will also always be kids that are unwilling to work and succeed, and it doesn't seem fair also, to drag down the opportunities and funding for the others because of those few.
Post a Comment