Monday, October 8, 2007

A Question and a Comment

In reaction to Mr. Profit's visit...

I think he brings up a lot of great thoughts and questions, and I'm simply amazed that he was able to get his values to work in a school. I'm all for having values, but it's always been my experience that when it comes to that, there are two types of reactions that perpetuate a vicious cycle:

a) Kid Type #1 "This is shit, I don't need this, this is stupid. Let's make fun of these rules because we're cooler than that and it's all bullshit from the administrators" (Dramatization)

b) Kid Type #2 "These sound like really good ideas and all, but I know that pretty much everyone else in the school is a kid Type #1 and I'll look like a stupid goody goody if I try to outwardly follow them, and they're not going to work anyway, so I'd better pretend I think the same things as Kid Type #1" (Dramatization)

But here are my two questions:

Does kid type #1 actually exist? Or does everyone just think everyone else is a kid type #1?

Supposing that there are Kid Type #2's out there who believe in the rules (I really do think there, are btw, I'm cynical for the sake of argument) how do we break past the stigma of the real or ficitional Type #1's and get the school to openly talk about feelings and values and emotions and respect and such?

Ideas, anyone?



And for the comment:

I really like this blog. When we talk about how music is such a difficult and ever-changing field and such, I feel like it's happening right here and now, in our blog. I really hope I have something like this when I'm actually holding a teaching job or student teaching post and need help and advice and the feeling that my field is alive in the world. I wonder if we could keep this going or expand it, or if MENC or something already has such a thing? It would be nice.

2 comments:

Rachel Gluzband said...

Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I think that the world is full of both kids, type one and two. And I'm pretty sure that as educators, we're going to be dealing with both types. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, I don't think. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I think that the type one kids are the ones who really challenge you.

In addition, I think that there really is a third type of kid, that rare kid type three, who is genuinely interested in values, takes them to heart, and tries to use them to set a good example for others.

I think that any combination of those three types can be present in each and every one of us, actually. I'll be honest- when Don Proffit first started talking to us, I tried to have a type three attitude, but I felt myself getting less interested as the temperature of the classroom increased and my attention span decreased, and I'm pretty sure I was a type one by the time the hour was up.

So anyway, very interesting ideas. I think you're definitely right about it being a vicious cycle, though I'm still lost on how to break it.

Meghan said...

In response to Rachel via Deidre - I think the only way to even begin to break the cycle is to be smart, fair and enthusiastic in your values, and let kids decide what they will. If you are honestly and genuinely enthusiastic about instilling your values, then those who care enough will respect you for your honesty and uphold those values. Those who don't care won't do anything, and they may even be a Type #1, but if you are enthusiastic in a way that is inspiring instead of condescending, I think that in most situations enough support can be drummed up to run a good program.

It definitely sucks though, don't get me wrong - I just think that it will suck less if we all come to terms with the fact that not everybody is going to dig everything we do, and that's totally ok. (this doesn't mean that we should cater to everyone's learning style needs or give up in any way, just be aware that success shouldn't be measured in percentiles.