Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I am freaking out!

Okay, so has anybody else started FREAKING OUT about the idea of lesson plans? When I read the case study before bed last night, I couldn't even sleep because of it. That whole principal-who-makes-you-write-your-aim-on-the-board thing terrifies me... I don't think I could be capable of teaching music like that. Nobody told me there were lesson plans involved in music ed! I don't plan on teaching in a factory. What are we supposed to be doing here, teaching music or training chimps?

4 comments:

Tom Cunningham said...

I also think they're quite silly, and It looks like (for once) I prefer the c.p. method (one goal over a period of time marked by many steps). I don't feel the need to write my methods down as even if I try my hardest I don't think it will reflect what will actually happen in the classroom. When you place yourself in a box (lesson plan) you block out so many wonderful possibilities. Tangents are great, and in many cases highly adventageous to learning.

Maybe I'll find a magic place where my program has funding, an apathetic principal (in the good way), and no lesson plans. And maybe it'll pay well too. (Cause such places exist...)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rachel, I know exactly what you mean. I'm really terrible at planning ahead! I like to take whatever I'm doing and then make a structure around it - even when I'm writing an essay for a teacher who demands an outline, I'll write the actual paper first and then the outline when I'm good and finished. So having my lesson plans pre-approved ...... eek! I really hope my future principal isn't such a control freak. I think in my old high school, teachers were required to turn in lesson plans once a month or so, just listing their general goals and how they fit into whatever curriculum was required by the town/state/College Board. That wouldn't be TOO terrible - maybe it would keep me focused. But every week? What a nightmare. So I agree with Tom ... ! There must be some happy place where this won't be a problem. But which of us is going to be lucky enough to get it?!

While I'm here ... can I just say that the entire case study book really freaks me out? Well, first let me preface this with the fact that I think it's a really awesome and helpful book, and FA really did a great job. But every time we get a reading assignment, a little bit of dread seeps into my heart. All the stories are happy little fairy tales with skipping kiddies and flowers and bunny rabbits .... until SUDDENLY! Oh no! Little Red Academic Hood gets eaten by the big bad wolf disguised as The New Principal. I'm glad we're being forced to think about these situations, but I really REALLY hope I get a happily ever after.

Hemmings said...

Ok so I took the test and I'm a type 2!! Now everyone is going crazy because they have to make mock lesson plans! AND ONE DAY YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO CARRY THEM OUT TOO!!! I think that lesson plans objectives and time schedules help get productivity. EXAMPLE: Dr. Lee/Oliver are always saying "we have two more minutes on this piece." Doesn't that help you understand that we have to get something done or the rehearsal was a waste? Doesn't make you think that they have lesson plans and thing that they what to accomplish each rehearsal? I'm marching band we had a schedule that was made up and everything was broken down in a time table. The day before the rehearsal we were supposed to check the site read the schedule and do the thing that it said to do to prepare for the rehearsal. This made all rehearsal effective and productive. We worked smarter, not harder. I believe that if your group knows what their doing then they can relax and focus and perform better.

SO THERE

TYPE 2 RULEZ

JOSH "SQUIGGY" HEMMINGS

cpdave said...

well in a non threatening way.. what did you think you gunna do? Guess around until everyone gets the right idea! I am smiling, not offending. I think learning methods of teaching will help reach to more student effectively. You won't know until you try!