So, I haven't posted in awhile, and I think it may be because I'm feeling a little lost in this whole philosophy of teaching thing. I know why I want to teach and it sounds good in my head, but when it comes to putting it down on paper and classifying it into different categories, I get all confused and I feel like my reasons for wanting to be an educator are all the wrong ones.
Maybe somebody else is having this problem and would like to talk to me about it? And maybe someone knows exactly why they want to teach and they have all the right reasons and would like to talk to me about that too!
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I know that I would like to be a band director or a choir director in a high school. I'd like to work with young adults. Not because I can't handle younger people but because I think that it would be a better fit for me. Already having worked with H.S. students in marching band and in chorus. I got to work with students of different musical levels. But the best thing was I got to work with kids that wanted to be there. High School Teaching allows you to push your students to the limit. In ways you can't push an 8 year old.
I like being a drill sergeant. ;)
Squiggy
I have about a hundred reasons why I want to be a music teacher!!! But I'l give you a few... :)
First off, I LOOOOVED music in middle and high school, particularly high school, but had MISERABLE time in elementary school. My elementary school experience was so awful it made me stop singing for a year, because coming form elementary school I thought the middle school choir/music was going to be like an extension of what it had been in elementary school. That is why I think I'm leaning towards teaching elementary school someday - as a way to make up for what I didn't have when I was there.
Another reason I would like to teach elementary school is because I get little kids. I think it's because I still remember what it was like to be little. It really stood out to me on Monday when Disney Singers went to perform at an elementary school. We thoguht it would be fun to being the show seated in the audience, and then when we began to sing we were going to go up on stage. It was weird when the kids came in though, because most of the other members were sitting there awkwardly with their kids, who were looking at them with that "ew, scary older people" look, while in 5 minutes I had made about 4 new best friends. I don't quite know if that's a good thing though?
Also, in high school, even if they had no plans on pursuing a career in music, choir was a place everyone went fr a period during the day, and got a chance to relax and had fun. Everyone always had a great time, and enjoyed the music and the company, and it was beautiful. I want to create that same enjoyable, stress-relieving and yet productive world for other kids.
I think I ended up rambling and going off track for awhile there, but there it is! haha
I'm also having some trouble with the paper too, but I don't know if they're necessarily the same. I've sat down a brainstormed for awhile and I have lots of ideas and lots of opinions but I don't really know where to start - I don't know how to organize it and pull it together to begin. Although, I've been thinking about just starting it in the middle, letting it take me where it wants to, and then going back at the end and writing the beginning.
I hope something I said was useful and didn't confuse you more!
I think what's really helped me the most is having had experience teaching already. I've been working at the elementary school for four years, and I really love it. It's the reason why I have opinions when we talk in class, because I've already encountered interesting kids and situations, and it's the reason I feel comfortable in my major because I know I can do this if I've already sort of done it without a degree, and I know I like it.
I really suggest that you go back to your high school over breaks or maybe work with summer programs so you can develop opinions and make sure you're in the right place. I guess it doesn't help you much with the paper, but I really think it will help in the long run.
Post a Comment