Im sitting here listening to Hip-Hop, not something i do often so the first thing that came to mind was pedagogy. I DONT KNOW WHY BUT IT DID.....So i started thinking about Hip Hop and how or if we can use it in the class room.
As we all know, not all children listen to pop. Its nice to think they do but in reality they dont. Speaking from an urban point of view, i would step out on a limb and say 90% of the children listen to HipHop, how do we then connect to them if what we are using (Pop) does not appeal to them. Using Pop music and teaching concepts of music thru Pop music has proven to work so now lets move to a different style of music that caters to a different type of student.....
Tell me what you think of this. is there a way we can use Hip Hop in the class room??? If so, what in it can we use and is there a song that comes to mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I would absolutely agree. In fact, when I am using the term "pop music", I am doing my best to refer to the many forms of modern music that are "popular" (i.e. rock, hip-hop, rap, country, etc.). I believe it is important for music educators to have an understanding of what good hip-hop is. My guess is that you'll get a much better take on what good hip-hop is (or any other popular music) from your students than you will as a part of your degree program. Maybe we should start using this blog to post some musical recommendations! Any suggestions?
The problem with using hip hop is that for a lot of it, you would have to use edited versions, which would take away from the full meaning of the music being expressed.
Post a Comment