Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Case Studies, p. 25, Improvisation, A.

Please post your thoughts with regard to the questions asked in the Case Studies book on page 25 (Improvisation, question A).

14 comments:

Meghan said...

Due to the varying levels of knowledge that students arrive in class with, it's hard to set a uniform goal for all students to have met by the end of their musical education. That being said, I would be satisfied as a teacher knowing that I had left a class with a knowledge and appreciation for music that they did not have before. If students can leave my class with a deeper understanding of what it is to be musical, i.e. hearing louder than you sing, often times working as a team, being able to listen objectively to different works, then I would feel like I had successfully taught music.

If more academic goals must be set, I would say that it is realistic to leave a high school student with the tools needed to learn how to read music. While a student may not become fluent in music-reading during the course of their study, as a teacher I would want to leave them with the skills necessary to figure it out for themselves. I want students to have the skills to be able to plunk out a melody for themselves, and be able to identify letter names and intervals at a very minimum.

While my guess is that not many public school curricula would have guidelines this loose, I do not think that many students leave the public school system with the amount of knowledge specified on these curriculums either, so I am not worried. As long as I can leave students feeling good about and unintimidated by music, I feel that I will have succeeded as a music educator.

Shaun said...

Coming out of college I'm sure everyone has ambitous dreams of having a successful choir or ensemble. In this case we were presented with a dilemma that is common. As a music educator in high school you can set standards for students to acheive, but if the standards in middle school or elementary school have not been met, what then? You as a high school music educator have to go back and reteach things that the students should have already known in middle school and elementary school. I believe that a music teacher should test ensembles to see what they grasp quickly and what needs to be worked on. Of course this brings in sight reading problems as well, but it provides a firm foundation for what you should teach for the year. I agree with Meghan, there is a way to figure out what to teach students in high school. Musicianship is a key component to any high school student's development as a musician. BOBO theory should have been taught in high schools across the nation. But the thing that scares me most is that music education is becoming the bottom rung of the academia ladder. Science and math are becoming more enriched in the learning styles. Isn't math and science incorporated in music? Or is music not appealing?

Anonymous said...

First of all, I think that what "every" child should know by the end of their elementary/middle/secondary education is:

More than when they started.

If this case study proves anything, it's that all children do not come to music class with the same knowledge, interest, or capacity. Should the child with Downs Syndrome know the same at the end of six years as a child violin prodigy? Music isn't a subject in which children must react a certain proficiency in order to graduate to the next level of schooling.

Perhaps then, what we mean when we say we "teach" music is that we enrich and enhance a students knowledge and enjoyment of music. That leaves a lot of room for interpretation and success.

And as for the choral participation question...singing in a choir teaching cooperation as well as a multitude of musical skills. But it is the only way to recieve an education in music on the high school level? No.

clafours said...

For teaching music, it can mean many different things, but for a school curriculum, there should be certain standards in place. I believe that in general middle school music classes, reading music and recognizing notes to at least a minimal level should be part of the program. There should also be the interaction of popular music and classical music mixed together so that the students can gain culture along with education.
Participating in the high school choir can give students confidence, discipline and gives them something to be interested in to distract them from negative activities that are not productive at all. It can, if the students are motivated properly, create a love for music, choir, and deter them from harmful activities.
By the end of elementary school music education, most students should be able to recognize pitches and be ear trained enough to notice when the wrong notes are played, etc. I wouldn't expect them to be able to read massive amounts of music, but at least the basic C Major scale components and read off the treble staff of middle C. Some will be more advanced than others, but students should start with a very firm basic core structure when starting to learn music.

Carlito said...

After four years of Highschool in my program, whatever the district or prior schooling, my kids will learn how to read music. The solfege method may be tough to grasp, but that's why I'm here, to learn how to best teach my students to read music. They will know at least the basics of theory; such as dynamics, note lengths, how to recognize time signatures, bass and treble clef, things like that. Choir students should also learn basic techniques for fuller, richer sounds, working with vowels and breath support, posture, blending...
Diedre's absolutely right though. Students are all at different levels, and we want EVERYONE to advance in their education. I would really like to set up theory classes and music appreciation classes to hit these areas of musicianship harder for those that can handle it. If there are only a select few advanced musicians I could do independent studies with them. But yes, the ones that already know the basics shouldn't have to sit through it while the others try to grasp the concepts of eighth notes :)

Bishopdr said...

I think when people say that they are teaching music they mean a better understanding of music. Most schools, especially elementary school, attempt to "teach music" and never get through to the students which defeats the purpose. So the questions is should the objective be to teach music???In middle school music i believe a student should be able to leave a theory class with the fundamentals of music, at least the basic and beginnings of the fundamentals. With that they should be able to continue onto a high school level with efficiency. PArticipaing in a high school choir requires discipline which can be beneficial outside of the choir room so that can be something to gain by being in the choir.
If i to make a list of the things a high school student should know after leaving i can continue for days.....the basic fundamentals are def needed, sigh reading and history are also requirements. I think that is sufficient and should allow them to at least past into musicianship I....i hope.lol

Laviar said...

When I think of "teaching music" I think of learning how to sing a song or play a piece on an instrument. However on a grand scale teaching music incoperates so much more; teaching music means to teach a child a skill and to posses them with knowledge about that skill so that they can enrich their lives. Whether this be something they pursue as a career isn't necessarily important.

Music can be used as a medium to bring a community together for a cause, humanitarian or otherwise. For instance when Bill Clinton appeared on mtv playing saxaphone he was trying to reach the young voter. Bill Clinton realized music as a commonality between him and the young voter. In this way music was used in a political way. But music is a commonality between all of us.

When a group of people that might not necessarily get along step in front of a conductor and perform a piece they are for that moment of time completely harmonious. So, Hopefully once a child leaves a high school music program he or she will aprecciate music in ways he or she previously did not.

Anonymous said...

What I mean when I say teach music is "teach my students what music is in all genres, time periods, the technical themes in music as far as key signatures, time signatures, and more. But more importantly i would like to teach them one solid theme that is universal and philosophical, but I nee to wait because I'm still trying to learn what it is.

Participating in a choir helps a child feel like they belong to something important which i feel is important for their self esteem. It also teaches them the whole "there's no I in team" theme.

In High School I feel that after being a choir you should:

Be able to read music
Know what team work is
Know how to independently study music

Justin Reamy said...

In Music Education is teaching a choir in a middle school program for me, in my opinion, is very VERY important.

In my high school, we never had a feeder program, so, people would start singing as a freshman in high school instead of in fifth grade to start learning the basics.

My high school teacher had to teach EVERYTHING in the a four year period. I actually started learning four years ago.

So a middle school education for me is very critical. In my opinion and how I would teach if I had a student from the grades 5th-8th. The students would learn, to sight read, solfege and vocal techniques. They'd probably learn rhythm by some sort of percussion instrument that we'd eventually learn to put to choral music.

Even though, I eventually want to be a secondary level teacher, I'd love to have that type of skill being feed to me from the middle school.

In high school level, I would love to not have to teach a basic level of musicianship but to you teach them techniqually musicianship on owning a skill they already have. My high school teacher was a brilliant man to have me sit here today in a choir college and catch me up for a eight year music education in just four years.

To have a good feeder program in middle school, would ultimately make a better high school choral group.

danielle lapier said...

Teaching music is not only teaching someone to sing a melody or harmonize or to play an instrument, it is teaching someone to have passion for music and to enjoy making music as a means of expressing their emotions.

Because there are so many different levels of musical knowledge it is difficult to set a certain standard for what a middle school student has to know in music class. My goal would be to simply improve the student's musical abilities. As long as the student had a passion for music and was willing to learn and able to be taught. If students could learn about musicality and gain a new appreciation for music and musicians, my goal as a music teacher would be fulfilled.

AliceFalcone said...

The most important thing that I think students should learn in any level of musical education is this: To love music.

Based on my elementary school music education, I believe that I learned everything I needed to. I was taught to match pitch, and I learned to enjoy music. My teacher also incorporated instruments and dance quite often in our music classes. Most importantly, when I left elementary school, I chose to continue my musical education in both choir and band.

In middle school and high school, more technical teaching should come into play so that students are given a comprehensive education in music, but I think that the education that happens in elementary school is most important. It begins a student's love for music and allows that student to grow and evolve as a musician.

Hemmings said...

When I say teach music I mean pass on some of the knowledge I've learned in my field weather it be teach the concept of a music note or something advanced like four part writing. I think that general music students in middle school should learn things such as the music note names, types of rhythms, and history of composers from classical to present times. Learning about where Mozart is from or even where artist such a Green Day and Kanye West come from and what they were influenced by. I also think they should learn how to an instrument such as the recorder or Orff instruments. The high school choir served as an escape from the normal work day in high school for me. I think it contributes to a child's total education because it allows them to do something besides read, write, and, listen. It allows them to sing and channel the energy that has built up inside them.Well at least for me it did. I had chorus and then band class right after each other everyday in high school 8th and 9th period. This allowed to take my mind of of school work, school drama, and other things. I was always in my best moods in those classes because I was doing something I loved to do.


Wat I Child should Know In high school After they have taken music
How to sight read small passages of a medium difficulty
how to read music notes in treble and bass clef
how to determine note value
how to use solfeg
have basic diction skills (mouth position)
how to count measures of rests
how to follow along in a score
by Hemmings 9/13/07

Victoria said...

Teaching music is sharing the passion and subject of music in a way that encourages pupils to achieve their full potential as musicians.

In a middle school general music class, students should have three important tools to understand music. First, Western music has been preserved from centuries ago because it was written down. Therefore, READING MUSIC is an essential tool that must be learned in middle school. Secondly, the beginning of music stems from chanting (Gregorian chant), calls and responses. This involves the VOICE and singing. Therefore, another important aspect is learning how to sing in the middle school general music class. Thirdly, RHYTHM. All music must sing and dance. Rhythm is the heart of music and must be taught and reinforced.

Singing in a choir is reinforcing the importance of understanding the only instrument that is built inside a person. Choirs are essential in building aural skills, understanding phrasing and sharing music as a community (often times, solo instruments can become lonely). Even if students are interested in playing an instrument, choir involvement is important. Across centuries, great instrumentalists have asked themselves “how would a singer sing this?”

Middle school:
1. Reading and understanding music notation
(Circle of fifths/key signatures)
2. Rhythmic notation
3. Singing

Brittany said...

When we say we want to teach "music," there are so many things that could fall under the umbrella of, "music." That could include, band, choir, a pop music class, a classical music class, a theory class, a music history class, etc. However, I think a general response that could cover all the bases of what 'teaching music' means, is to spread one's knowledge on a particular music topic and broaden the horizons of those who wish to learn...to wordy but it is what it is. That's what I want to accomplish, and likewise, when I'm in a class that falls under the umbrella of 'music class,' I want whoever is teaching to open my eyes to new types of music and to teach me things that I can use and pass on to others.

In middle school, I think it is important to first make sure kids know that there are many differnt genres of music and that no genre is better than the other, that's it's all up to personal opinion, and that 'good music,' is undefinable. A middle school class should not jst be playing a recorder, (even though I love hearing the recorder at 910 in the morning). In middle school teachers should focus on getting kids excited about music first before drilling solfege into their heads. If I get excited about something first, than I want to learn how to do it and sometimes my mind is not that far off from a middle school kid.

Being in a middle school choir gives kids who love music an outlet. In middle school, everyone gets to be in the choir. There's no 'first chair' or competition, just music and fun songs. From being in a choir like that a middle school student could figure out if that is something they wish to continue with. For me, my middle school choir was where my passion for music really started to flourish. It made me really care about something in school, and it opened up my mind to something new and over all had a good influence on my education, and probably many others.